June 24, 2015
“There is a new meaning of history staring us in the face today in the United States, or, at least, a new meaning to many white Americans. White America has never dealt with slavery and its aftermath and now we are living with the accelerating destructive effects of that historical failure.”
Rev. Dr. Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite goes on to delineate five ways that white Christian theology must change in the wake of the Charleston murders.
1. Declare white supremacy a heresy
2. Recognize gun worship as demonic
3. Confess, repent and change: embrace the true dynamics of forgiveness
4. Call for demilitarization of the police
5. Listen to Jesus: read the signs of the times (Matt. 16:2-3)
Read this challenging post on the Huffington Post Religion Blog.